Senior Care in Natomas CA
As your parent continues to get older, having a regular conversation with them may become more of a challenge than it did in the past. Not only will they have a more difficult time understanding what you are saying, but they may have trouble reading your body language as well. If trying to engage in a conversation with the elder is becoming too stressful, consider hiring a senior care provider. These professional caregivers are experienced in communicating with older adults with various health conditions.
The following tips will also make it easier to talk to your loved one and give them directions.
- Say it again. Whether your loved one has hearing loss, a cognitive impairment, or there is another reason they have trouble understanding you, it may take a few tries before they can comprehend what is being said. If your loved one does not understand what is being said the first time, repeat it. You may want to slow down when you are speaking and lower your tone in order to make it easier to understand. If that still does not work, try rephrasing what you were saying, remembering to continue speaking slowly and in a low tone.
- Ask open-ended questions. Encourage the elder to also become an active participant in the conversation. Ask open-ended questions that will force them to also share their thoughts and feelings. If the elder does not answer immediately, be patient and wait for their response. You may be surprised at all of the interesting your loved one will want to share with you.
- Get to the point. Trying to communicate some drawn out, ongoing sentence may not only be challenging for older adults to understand, but they may also quickly lose interest in the point you are trying to make. When speaking, keep it short and sweet in order to make it easier for your elderly parent to comprehend. Doing this will also allow you to emphasize the key points that you are attempting to communicate instead of including “fluff,” or information that is not important to the message. By getting straight to the point, your loved one will be able to absorb the information easier.
These tips will allow you to easily talk to your parent, even while they continue to age. Make sure to continue having patience with the elder, allowing them to share their feelings and thoughts, no matter how much time it may take.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Natomas, CA, please contact the caring staff at ApexCare®. Proudly Serving Sacramento, Yolo, Placer & El Dorado Counties. Call Today 916-924-9111.
Since then, I have had a strong interest in helping and supporting our senior community as they age and are unable to care for themselves.Coming from a family of physicians, I am excited to be involved in the medical community by providing the highest levels of non-clinical in-home care to our clients and their families.With my work experience, I firmly believe that ApexCare can touch many lives and have a great impact on our local senior community.
Prior to joining ApexCare, I worked in a wide variety of industries and have owned multiple businesses ranging from construction to mortgage banking.Outside of work, I am an active youth soccer and basketball coach, having coached recreational soccer for over 8 years and elementary school basketball for over 4 years.I graduated with a BS in Economics from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and received a Masters of Management degree from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.My career has been focused on building great organizations that deliver the highest absolute levels of service to our clients.I look forward to continuing this passion with ApexCare.
Latest posts by Jason Wu, President (see all)
- What Are Some Gluten Alternatives? - November 30, 2018
- Tips for Protecting Your Senior’s Dental Health During Cancer Treatment - November 21, 2018
- Simplifying Care When Traveling for the Holidays - November 16, 2018