As a family caregiver, one of the most important tasks that you have is helping to make sure that your aging parent stays as healthy as possible throughout their later years. While you might immediately think of common illnesses such as cold, flu, and minor respiratory illnesses, it is vital that you understand the potential risk for other severe illnesses. One such risk is that of foodborne infection. Also known as foodborne illness, this type of ailment was once known as food poisoning. Caused by pathogens in food, these infections can be particularly troublesome for elderly adults due to their tendency to have immune systems that are not as strong or effective as those of younger people. Understanding these illnesses can help you to protect your parent and prevent potentially devastating consequences for such illnesses.
Some things that you should know about foodborne infections include:
- There are an estimate 48 million cases of foodborne infections throughout the United States each year.
- This is the equivalent of 1 in every 6 Americans contracting such an infection.
- Approximately 128,000 people throughout the United States end up hospitalized as a result of foodborne illness each year.
- Approximately 3,000 people throughout the United States die as a result of foodborne illness each year.
- It is likely that these numbers are not accurate as most cases of such illnesses are not reported to health departments.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that nearly 9.4 million of the known cases of foodborne illness are caused by 31 of the known pathogens occurring in food.
- Approximately 90 of illnesses of which a cause is identified are caused by one of seven main pathogens, including E. coli, Toxoplasma, and Salmonella.
Starting senior care for your aging loved one can be one of the best decisions that you can make to help them achieve and maintain the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your elderly loved one on a customized schedule that is right not just for their needs, but also for their personality and the lifestyle that they desire and deserve. This senior care provider will work with your parent to create a highly personalized set of services tailored to address their challenges and limitations as well as to help them pursue a life that is as fulfilling and engaged as possible. This means that your parent can stay happy, healthy, comfortable, and safe while also pursuing as much independence and activity as possible throughout their later years. Knowing that your elderly loved one has access to this type of support and care can be especially reassuring during family celebrations. A senior care provider can be with your parent to ensure that they stay safe and healthy while participating in the activity in the way that is right for them. This can also ease your stress, ensuring that your parent has what they need so you can focus on enjoying the activity.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Sacramento, CA, please contact the caring staff at ApexCare®. Proudly Serving Sacramento, Yolo, Placer & El Dorado Counties. Call Today 916-924-9111.