The Alzheimer’s Association, in collaboration with Congresswoman Doris Matsui, hosted a forum called “What’s New in Alzheimer’s Research and Early Detection” last Thursday, September 5th in Sacramento. Attendees, including ApexCare, learned about the exciting new developments in Alzheimer’s research, of which there are many. We also received an update on the work that California is doing to address the Alzheimer’s health crisis that is impacting California.
During the forum, Jennifer Harrington, a volunteer for the Alzheimer’s Association reviewed the 10 warning signs of Alzheimer’s which includes:
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life
- Challenges in planning or solving problems
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks
- Confusion with time or place
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
- New problems with words in speaking or writing
- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
- Decreased or poor judgment
- Withdrawal from work or social activities
- Changes in mood and personality
Overall, the forum was a fantastic educational event that provided summaries on research, advocacy work, and education on identifying Alzheimer’s Disease. Thank you Alzheimer’s Association for fighting for the health and welfare of those suffering from Alzheimer’s!!