Activities & Games
Arts & Crafts
- Painting Supplies: Purchase painting supplies at the Dollar or 99 Cent Store.
- Painting Printouts: For free painting printouts, follow this LINK.
- Painting Rocks: Find some rocks or stones from the yard or garden to paint & design!
- Painting on Pinterest: Go to PINTEREST for unlimited painting ideas & projects.
- Coloring Adult Coloring Books: Try Adult coloring books. These coloring books are fantastic! Follow this LINK for free adult coloring printouts that you can print out at home.
- Coloring by Numbers: Try Coloring by Numbers. Follow this LINK for free Color by Number printouts. For more Color by Number printouts, follow this LINK.
- Scrapbooking: Build a scrapbook together. Follow this LINK to learn how to make a basic scrapbook.
- Paper Puppets: Be creative and make fun paper puppets! Follow this LINK for instructions on how to make Paper Puppets.
- Plastic Canvas: Follow this LINK for a video on how to sew using a plastic canvas.
- Plastic Loom: Follow this LINK for a video on how to loom or sew with a plastic loom.
- Cardboard Loom: Try making and using a cardboard loom. This can be done with cardboard in your home. Follow this LINK to watch a video on how to make a cardboard loom.
- Lacing Card: Make a lacing card at home for some fun! Follow this LINK to watch a video on how to make a lacing card.
- Paper Plates & Yarn: All you need are some paper plates and yarn for this fun activity. Follow this LINK to watch a video on ideas on how to use paper plates and yarn for sewing.
- Beading: Beading is fun! Follow this LINK to watch a video on easy steps to make jewelry with beads.
- Wooden Lacing Beads: Try using color wooden lacing beads. Follow this LINK to watch a video on using color lacing beads.
- Other Jewelry Ideas: Follow this LINK to watch a video for more jewelry making ideas.
- Yarn or String Braids: Make braids with yarn or string. This is a also great hand exercise.
- String Art: Follow this LINK for some fantastic ideas for making string art.
- Yarn & Twine Art: Glue yarn or twine to objects such as pens, pencils, vases, flower pots, etc. Follow this LINK for a video on how to glue yard to vases and other items.
- Other Yarn Craft Ideas: Follow this LINK for more ideas on using yarn for crafts.
- Play-Do: We are never too old to play with Play-Do! Play-Do can be found at the Dollar store and other crafts store and is an inexpensive and fun way to use your hands and imagination!
- Color Clay: Make your own colored clay at home! Follow this LINK to see you can make your own colored clays!
- Slime: One of today's most popular activities is making Slime with Borax and Glue. Follow this LINK to learn how to make easily make slime that you can play with and shape.
Board & Card Games
- Tic Tac Toe
- The Game of Life
- Chutes & Ladders
- Crossword Puzzles
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Rubik's Cube
- Wire & Metal Puzzles
- Go Fish
- Spit or Speed
- Crazy Eights or Uno
- Gin Rummy
Our phones are full of great games that older adults can enjoy. There are countless "thinking" games and/or active games that are appropriate and enjoyable to older and younger individuals.
Below are some fun phone apps:
- Word Search
- Jigsaw Puzzle
- Unblock Me
- Color by Numbers
- Poly Artbook
Browse your apps on a phone to find fun games that you and your client can play!
- Wii Fit
- Kist Damce
- Wii Tennis
- Wii Sports - including bowling, tennis, pool, and boxing.
- Free online games. Follow this LINK for online games!
Follow this LINK for some ideas on how to use a exercise band!
Exercising or movement with light dumbbells is an excellent way to safely exercise and have some fun. Make sure that the weight of the dumbbells is appropriate and that there is no movement that would cause any strain or excess exertion. This should be fun and safe!
We all love music and dancing! Find some music that your older adult knows and loves and play it! Let the familiar music be the cue to get up and dance. Don't be shy - dancing is a fun form of exercise that many love and appreciate. Sometimes it just takes someone to initiate the dancing!
- Yoga: Yoga does not have to be difficult. Follow these links to try some basic yoga moves for fun and exercise. LINK 1 LINK 2
- Stretching: Stretching our bodies can be a great activity and exercise. Follow this LINK for a perfect video on stretching for seniors.
- Other Ideas: Follow this LINK for some more ways to keep your body moving!
Gardening does not have to be difficult and hard! Find a spot in the backyard to plant a seed and water this area. Choose a location that you want to improve or clean-up. Work with your client on this small area, ensuring that your client is not straining themselves. You can also find a container that can be used as a pot for planting herbs or small plants. Watching the small plants grow over time is rewarding and fun!
- Plant flowers in pots
- Go outside to hand water plants
- Use Plastic Bottles to make small planters
- Use egg cartons as planters. Follow this LINK for some ideas on how to use egg cartons.
Nothing improves the spirt like fresh air and sunshine! Take the opportunity, if possible, to get out of the house by taking walk. Find a place that your client enjoys and take them to this area to walk and enjoy the outdoors.
To keep things interesting and fun, find time to take field trips to local places. There are always many places to visit if you are creative and open:
- Local Senior Centers
- Movie Theatre
- Shopping Malls
- Pet stores or animal shelters
- Scenic Tour Drives (just driving with the window down on a nice day can be invigorating!)
It doesn't matter how old you are when it comes to kite flying. There is something magical about flying a kite. Kites are inexpensive and can be found at your local drug stores. Help your client get the kite in the air and let your client hold, adjust, and manage the kite in the air.
Some clients love to read but have a harder time reading due to vision restraints. Find out what the client is interested in. Does your client enjoy reading books, newspapers, or magazines? Find subjects that your client enjoys and take the time to read to them. They will greatly appreciate this and you can pass the time in a productive and fun way!
- Books - fiction or non-fiction
- Visual Novels
Cooking with your client can be an incredibly fun and rewarding activity. Take the opportunity to bake some pre-made cookie dough or easy-to-make cakes. Or, when preparing regular meals, involve your client:
- Have your client read the instructions.
- Have your client measure out or prepare some ingredients.
- Have your client stir and watch the food while cooking.
In other words, give your client some responsibility in preparing the meal and enjoy the meal together when it is done!
There is always an upcoming holiday whether it is something as significant as Christmas or just St. Patricks Day. Take the opportunity to ask your client about specific holidays they enjoy or have fond memories of. Take the time to make simple decorations for the home or help your client write holiday cards to family or friends.
- New Year's Eve and Day
- July 4th
- Memorial Day
- St. Patricks Day
- Other holidays????
Many of our clients have played instruments in the past. If they have and you see instruments around the house, ask the client about their instruments. See if they are able or willing to try their instruments again.
- Other instruments?
There are so many fun things to do with photos. If your client has family photo albums, take the time to go through their albums and give them opportunities to tell you their fascinating stories behind the pictures. This is an amazing way to learn and to appreciate our clients' lives and experiences. Feel free to ask your questions and to engage your clients in conversation.
But, don't stop at photo albums. Grab some magazines and look at the photos in the magazines to start conversations or share stories. Also, the Internet is full of fun photos. Type in different animals or famous people to find fun photos that can ignite conversation and fun!
Lastly, use your phone to take pictures and modify the pictures in a fun way using photo alteration apps such as Snapchat or Line. There are many phone apps that do this and they are hilarious. Your client may get a good laugh at what these apps can do!